Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Saddle Up Anyway

What is the meaning behind the word "courage?" This is a question that has been on my mind a lot as of late.
Is courage being the hero that saves a cat from a tree?
Is courage mustering up the nerve to raise your hand in class and ask a question?
Is courage the ability to think on your own and formulate your own ideas?
Is courage sharing a smile with the shy kid at school?
Is courage talking to your crush in the hallway?
Is courage standing up for what you believe in even if you are the only one?

Maybe yes, possibly no...

As I have pondered on the thought of courage, I have been constantly taken back to one of my all-time favorite quotes.
John Wayne is one of my favorites and I love the image this quote paints in my mind. I remember back in 8th grade there was a day that I had been at the horse arena practicing barrels for an upcoming show. At one particular point in practice, my horse got spooked and I ended up on the ground. Covered in dirt and trying to figure out if I should cry because I was hurt or because I had been scared to death, I heard one of my close friends say to me as she rode by, "Nine more times and you'll be a true cowgirl!" At that moment, the last thing I wanted to do was get back on this horse. However, I couldn't just wimp out because of a simple little fall to the ground. So setting the immense amount of fear that had now entered my body, I decided to "saddle up anyway." 
Now, I probably did not ever become a "true cowgirl," but the lesson I learned from that day was in a moment when it would be much easier to take the comfortable road out of a daunting situation, choosing the hard path lead me to a much better end point. Courage, for me, was this. Courage to choose the more difficult choice. 

As I look at what courage is for me today, I have many more questions and many more provoking thoughts. 
Can I have courage to be humble? 
Can I have courage to be kind? 
Can I have courage to learn? 
Can I have courage to accept? 
Can I have courage to love? 
Can I have courage to be considerate?
Can I have courage to teach? 
The answer here is an obvious "YES" but it will be a long and difficult road. Worth it? Most definitely!
If I follow John Wayne's advice and just "saddle up anyway!"

No comments:

Post a Comment